Sunday 4 August 2013

[Maine-birds] Gilsland shorebird flock still growing fast

The Semipalmated Sandpiper flock has just about doubled from one week ago. I came up with 1231 SESA's today compared with 647 last Sunday. Of course, these are not exact counts, but trust me, I tried! There were also a handful each of Black-Bellied Plover, Semipalmated Plover, and Greater Yellowlegs. I cut my west meadow run short due to an incoming rain cloud, but it was over by the time I got back to my car so I checked the pond again for the continuing American Bittern. Bill Bunn has been photographing this bird over a week's period, but I kept missing it. I had a great show this afternoon and got to watch it's ridiculously patient hunting style at very close range. Also two Green Herons in and around the pond and a Great Blue as well.
 
Hey Turk, thanks for finding the Avocet yesterday!
 
Bird haahd,
Noah Gibb-Portland

0 comments:

Post a Comment