Sunday 23 June 2024

Re: [Maine-birds] wood thrush question/Gorham

I am glad to hear that there are Wood Thrush in Skowhegan.  Outside of two singing migrants on 5/10, I have not detected a single Wood Thrush anywhere in my birding in the Unity area this year.  We have watched the local population decline significantly here over the last ten years.  Tons of Hermit Thrush and Veery in the appropriate habitats.  I read recently Wood Thrush require a moist understory in deciduous or mixed woods with trees over 50' and a healthy mid-story present.  May be that the overharvesting of the forests around me are contributing to their decline?

Good birding,
tom a

On Saturday, June 22, 2024 at 3:55:31 PM UTC-4 chr...@myfairpoint.net wrote:
I have not noticed any change in the Wood Thrush population along my road (near Skowhegan).  I have the impression that there are more of them this year than in the past (maybe I stole yours?  Sorry! 😁 ).  Hermit Thrushes have been about normal.  I even discovered a nest in my woods, and the eggs hatched.  I'm not sure if the young survived, or not, but they looked pretty chipper the last time I saw them before the nest was empty.  Hopefully they escaped any predators.

I'd be happy to trade you a pair of Wood Thrushes for a Carolina Wren. 

Wally S.


On Sat, 22 Jun 2024 13:23:11 -0400, Lois and Tom Hasbrouck <thasb...@maine.rr.com> wrote:

We have noticed this year the absence of wood thrushes in our area and are wondering about this. I looked back over our observations (dating back to 2001 for our own yard/woods) and every year since 2006 we have noted seeing or hearing wood thrushes by May. This year we have neither seen nor heard them. I only started hearing a veery a week ago and have also not yet heard a hermit thrush. The wood thrushes have always been notably around and vocal so I am/we are curious about this.

I know there are changes over time with bird population and movement…we now have bluebirds year-round which were not here in former years, and another more recent neighor is the Carolina wren family…hard to miss with those LOUD vocalizations. :) Wood thrushes just seem to be an odd one to have moved away.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might have~

Lois Hasbrouck

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/ad616396-aa50-4b9b-9be6-dc15b531267cn%40googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment