Saturday 27 August 2016

[Maine-birds] c. nighthawks in Sidney and other birds

It really is the end of summer now--I had four common nighthawks over the field behind my house tonight. I've been waiting for them. (I used to see them while my kids had soccer practice, but I don't go to practice with them anymore and I get a few at my house, but not the large, streaming flocks closer to the river.) I had one over the schools in Oakland on Thurs night as well.

E
​arlier in August I had a couple of batches of barn swallows--about 20 birds in the first group and 10 in the second. Numbers seem low compared to previous years when I had babies lined up on my roof begging.

The neighborhood kestrels fledged two to three babies--I could never get all of them in sight at once to count accurately. They seem to have taken off. Very relieved they had a successful year.

The bluebirds raised two broods--fledged three out of six the first time and all five the second time. Lots of bluebirds still around.

Lots of phoebes in the yard along with four or five kingbirds. Still seems very birdy here with the nightly catbird scolding.

Good birding,
Julia



--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment