Thursday 3 February 2022

[Maine-birds] Hybrid Herons of Scarborough Marsh (and byeond) article in North American Birds

Hi all,
My article - a 13-page photo salon - on the Hybrid Herons of Scarborough Marsh (Patches!) has finally been published in the most recent issue of North American Birds. In it, I lay out the theory that at least 5 different individuals have been seen in Scarborough Marsh since I first found an odd juvenile heron in July of 2012 that we now believe is a hybrid between a Snowy Egret and a Tricolored Heron. Two months later, a second individual was found in New Hampshire by Ben Giffith and Lauren Kras. 

I made the case that the two current birds are backcrosses, one with a Snowy Egret (SNEG X TRHE X SNEG) and the other with a Little Egret (SNEG X TRHE X LIEG). I'll be watching them carefully for the potential of a developing hybrid swarm.

Unfortunately, at this time, the journal is only available online to members of the ABA. However, digital e-memberships (with access to all of the ABA publications) are only $30 a year, and you can purchase issues of the magazine directly from the ABA by emailing info@aba.org. Also, if you wanted to take a peek at the article, I do have a couple of extra copies here at the store for you to peruse.

Believe it or not, a hybrid heron is much rarer than a Steller's Sea-Eagle, at least from a world perspective...in fact, it's possible these birds are one of a kind!


Meanwhile, I want to thank all of the folks who sent me photos, many via a listserv RFI, who made this article possible. I think I've pieced together a strong case - sans DNA - and I look forward to seeing what happens in the coming years (keep those photos coming!)

Sincerely, 
-Derek

*****************************************

 Derek and Jeannette Lovitch

 Freeport Wild Bird Supply

 541 Route One, Suite 10

 Freeport, ME 04032

 207-865-6000

 www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com  

 ****************************************

0 comments:

Post a Comment