Wednesday 29 June 2022

[Maine-birds] Re: Katahdin Woods and Waters area

Nice.  I was there a week ago this past tuesday and had a lot of what you mentioned except some of the mammals.  Did had fresh bear scat and moose scat around but no bear or moose until I left the park when I had a moose just east of the park.  Of course that's probably because I was only there a day.  Love that place.  So much better than Baxter in my opinion:-)

Andrew

On Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 1:33:03 PM UTC-4 Nathan Hall wrote:
I was able to spend the last few days birding and atlasing the Katahdin Woods and Waters area. It was the first time that I had been there and it was amazing.

I had 87 bird species in and around the monument over 3 days, tons of warblers, woodpeckers, flycatchers, and thrushes. On top of the birds I had 2 Black Bears, a Moose, a Coyote (chasing a fawn), numerous White-tailed Deer & Snowshoe Hares, a Red Fox, Beavers, a vole, and tons of Red Squirrels and chipmunks. There were numerous insects, large flights of Chalk-faced Corporals, Common Whitetails, and Ebony Jewelwings, plus many more odonata which I still need to id. Not to mention butterflies, moths, and tiger beetles.

My highlight birds were both seen at the Black Spruce Bog on the Loop Rd. One evening I watched a Common Nighthawk booming and then the next morning I was treated to a Cape May Warbler.

I'm still adding non-bird pictures, bird sounds, maps, and more narrative but here is my full eBird trip report.

Be well
Nathan Hall
Portland, ME

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/399b540f-dd8a-4d87-a4c6-fee06be644dan%40googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment