Monday 4 July 2022

Re: [Maine-birds] Digest for maine-birds@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 2 topics

Have you ever seen a more beautiful July 4? Weather wise, I mean. Anyway, if any or all of you want to go hear "everything you always wanted to know about Maine's Moose— and more!", presented by Gerry Monteux at the Woman's Club, Thursday, 6:30, you will be most welcome. And if one of you doesn't, Alex will be happy to keep him company.

And thanks for all the loot!
MLB 

On Jul 4, 2022, at 4:32 PM, "maine-birds@googlegroups.com" <maine-birds@googlegroups.com> wrote:


JMSmith <jeanette.m.smith@gmail.com>: Jul 03 10:28PM -0700

Thanks for speaking up! I think if more of us raise concern about some of
the attitude that has been expressed in response to posts we might see
improvement. As far as I know, Maine Birds is not just for experts to
use. All of us have made errors in ID at some point in our birding
careers, but no one should belittle anyone. Let's spend more time enjoying
a rare sighting, educating, and supporting each other in a positive way.
 
Craig Kesselheim <ckesselheim@gmail.com>: Jul 04 06:40AM -0400

I would also welcome a thread about *best* ways to use the Merlin ID app.
The app is out there, widespread (not going away), and is helpful in many
ways to newbies and sharpies alike. For one, I take a stance of skepticism
towards its recommendations, but I also use it to assist my hearing. If
Merlin Sound ID suggests that there is a Golden-crowned Kinglet out there
that I haven't detected yet, I use that as a heads-up but not a
confirmation. I pause and look harder for that tiny bird.
When I think I am hearing a distant song of a certain species and then
Merlin Sound ID suggests the same ID I have in mind, I consider that a
helpful second opinion.
 
Any others? Any helpful "avoid using Merlin this way" tips out there?
 
Best,
Craig K
Southwest Harbor
 
Mark Szantyr <birddog55@charter.net>: Jul 04 09:04AM -0400

I want to apologize for what was interpreted as snarky remarks. That was surely not my intention. I have the dubious pleasure of observing hundreds of mute swans every year and have become very well informed on how they look ( body shape, facial pattern, tail shape, etc) so for me these immediately said mute swan. I probably could have been less brusque in my presentation. I meant to shame or belittle no one. I have never used the Merlin app so i guess my opinion isn't worth any more than my opinion. I have come to trust people and the observational skills for more than a set of algorithms. I apreciate that it could be a support system for hard to hear birds in a distant jumble of birdsong.
 
Again i am sorry i hurt so many feelings. I will be kinder in my involvement with sightings and in how i offer my thoughts about identifications. Its the last thing i meant to do to alienate any one in my second favorite state to bird.
 
Again, i am very sorry
 
Mark Szantyr
Storrs, hi
 
 
Sharon F. <sfinley111@hotmail.com>: Jul 03 09:49PM

2 adults and one juvenile in a field along North Raymond Rd. in Gray on Sunday afternoon. First sighting ever for me! Sharon in S.Paris
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment