Sunday 11 September 2022

Re: [Maine-birds] Compromised birds

I think it is important to discuss the health of the birds.   I think there is more to birding than seeing a rare bird. 

I had about 4 mating pairs of barn swallows this summer.  They arrived about May 6th compared to May 9 the last 10 years and left August 23rd.  The last two years they have left later than the usual August 9th.  They had two hatches the last 2 years.  There was a big gathering for a few days on my barn roof and wires before they left.  It is fun to watch them jet around in large numbers.  The hatches were very successful.  The number of barn swallows have dropped from about 16 pairs 5 years ago to just about 4 pairs this year. 

I use to have 16 tree swallow nests full.  Last year it dropped to about 8 nest being used by tree swallows.  This year none of the boxes were filled by tree swallows.  They may have moved on to better nests.  The blue birds have enjoyed the nests and there are some sparrows using the nests as well.  I had no kestrel mating pairs in the area this year.  I have had 2 mating pairs the last 5 years.  I saw no Baltimore Orioles this year.  Things are changing.  Not sure if it is global warming or migration bird loses.

Allan   

On 9/11/2022 5:16 PM, Luci Timblin wrote:
Good timing. I just had this guy in my feeder, breathing heavy and looking sickly. When I went out a got closer it stood up, hopped to other side of feeder then flew to a bush but was jolting like it had hiccups.
I'll keep watch for it or others showing signs of sickness.

On Sun, Sep 11, 2022, 4:35 PM Sean Hatch <seanarih@gmail.com> wrote:
I am curious if anyone knows what this bird flue that's been around looks like but I've had 2 compromised Goldfinch since spring. I really don't want to take my feeders but will instantly if that's what needs to be done. Attached is ebird checklist with photos of the Goldfinch. Anyone with knowledge about this please let me know for I am very concerned. Sorry if this is off topic.

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/CABvRp4k4EnzJeZBWjSQwSZTS9B1HdBDK40EEtBdD%2BcZEFZNemA%40mail.gmail.com.
--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/CALACa8r3-8fdkHC%2BRx%3DoJAi%3DjKFKns01ifHyjiReB_u0DY4nAA%40mail.gmail.com.


0 comments:

Post a Comment