Tuesday 28 October 2014

[Maine-birds] Possible Blue-gray Gnatcatcher in Bangor

I just saw a very small warbler-like bird that was about the same size, but not as bulky, as a Parula, in the top of a deciduous bush on Fountain Street in Bangor.   I was fairly close by and I got a decent look at it:  light grayish/devoid of any obvious color, very cocked tail that was about as long as its body, and making squeaky mewing noises.   It was definitely not a Ruby-crowned Kinglet... no large obvious eye-ring and its tail was longer in proportion to its body.   Not a Wren either, it didn't appear brown at all.    It flew away further into someone's yard, going in the direction of Kenduskeag Avenue.    I've never seen a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher in person, but have seen videos and photos of them and to me this looked like what it was.   Not entirely certain though, because I was only able to observe it for about 45 seconds.
 
Jeff Webb

0 comments:

Post a Comment