Saturday 25 March 2017

[Maine-birds] Re: binocular recommendations?

I'm perhaps a bit late to this parade, but after believing that our Nikon Monarchs were never to be equaled--and they are great binocs , and great value--a friend of Lucia's (my  wife) gave us a pair of Canon 10x30 IS binocs.  The IS stands for Image Stabilizer.  So you focus on the bird and hit a button and image stabilizes. I have no idea how this works, but it really does.  I have never been in favor of anything over 8X for birding because of too much movement--but the image stabilization really works.  I took these out and "A/B" them against my Monarchs, and they were better.  Better color separation, and they gather a bit more light--and of course the bird is closer.  We went and bought another pair for me.  I see that there is a newer version IS II, and the ones like we have are about 1/2 price on the web.  The newer model is around $450.   They weigh a few ounces more than my Monarch, but  I bet they are less than your Zeiss 10X40s

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 11:52:41 AM UTC-4, Anne Williams wrote:
I have been using some inherited 30-year-old Zeiss 10x40s. (Dialyt 10x40 B T*)   They are very bright and good for anything further than 16 feet away, but have no close focus and are on the heavy side.

I know there have been a lot of improvements in binoculars in recent decades. 

Questions:
Is it worth buying something newer?
And how much would it cost?  (I am looking to stay under $500.)
Thanks,
Anne

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment