Sunday 5 November 2017

[Maine-birds] gull question re: flock at Englishman's Bay noon today (05Nov)

Here is a question for the gull experts.  Wally and I saw a flock of 100+ gulls bunched together at extremely high tide, very near shore (a few were in the rockweed on shore). This is in Englishman's Bay, a stone's throw from the Cow Point Road off of Johnson Cove Road.
   Gulls were small, smaller than Herring, and no red spot on bill. They appeared to be adult with a ring on the bill. Legs not visible in the waves and rockweed. I assumed (wrongly) that they were Ring-billed gulls and posted them on e-bird with a fuzzy photo. My ID choice was denied by ebird because this species would be unlikely in these numbers at this place. I am very bad at gull ID, so this does not surprise me. But I would like to know what the gulls might be. I changed my incorrect ID to gull sp. If the submission is on ebird you can see the photo. What small gull might be flocking now in Englishman's Bay?  Thanks!

p.s. I think the Little Blue Heron on the Englishman's River has gone. It was perched in a White Spruce yesterday (04 Nov) on the river at 4:00ish, and then flew to the other side, but it was gone this morning and we did not see it at noon, or later in the afternoon. 

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment