Saturday 18 November 2017

[Maine-birds] North Maine Woods

Excuse the somewhat belated report. I spent two days in the Telos area woods west of Baxter last weekend, and it was lively. The adventure is now a Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UTI19HHSXo, but here’s a recap:

 

Very finchy. It’s another good year for both crossbills. Pine Siskin numbers are off the charts. Purple Finches were common, goldfinches only a little less common.

Gray Jays are marauding like I’ve never seen. I expect family groups to still be together, in threes and fours. But flocks have grouped up into sixes and sevens, and they’re noisy and curious.

I encountered only one Spruce Grouse in the road, but chanced upon 15 Ruffed Grouse without trying.

Heard the bark of Saw-whet Owl right next to the campsite at Harrington Lake.

 

I was mostly scouting out new locations for toe-challenged woodpeckers. The windstorm blew down a lot of trees onto the skidder trails I often visit. I did find another hyperactive site for Black-backed Woodpeckers near Mud Pond, west of Chamberlain Lake, east of Umbazooksus. (Are you paying attention, Rob Speirs?) Woodpeckers were prone to drumming as the sun crested the horizon, which was helpful. Saw thee BBWOs, but only heard one 3-toed on the Harvester Road and didn’t bother to chase it down.

 

Roads were good, with a crust of snow and ice. But bring a spare. I spent dusk on Sunday night, helping a guy from Pennsylvania change a completely shredded tire on his Ford F-150.

 

Bob Duchesne

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment