Wednesday 28 February 2018

[Maine-birds] Spring returning to Belgrade Lakes region - COGR, TUVU, RNDU, and RWBL.

Observed a handful of species returning to the area this afternoon/evening (2/28): 

- While standing in the parking lot of the Maine Lakes Resource Center in the Belgrade Lakes village, I had a single Common Grackle calling from the silver maples across the road. I turned around to also see 2 Turkey Vultures soaring high over Mill Stream and moving southward. 

- I stopped briefly at the south end of Messalonskee Lake while heading home. There I had (4) Ring-necked Ducks in with Canada Geese, Am. Black Ducks, Mallards, and Hooded Mergansers in the expanding area of open water off the bridge (where Belgrade Stream outlets). 

- I've been spotting a pair of Red-tailed Hawks in the fields just east of the intersection of Route 3 and Riverside Drive in the Augusta. I've seen both birds within a quarter mile of one another during both my evening and morning commute. This evening was no exception and both birds were present.  

- Just east of where I've been seeing the red-tails, I spotted a small dark bird perched in a tree over a small cattail marsh behind Lapointe Lumber in Augusta. Upon closer inspection, I found that it was a single (and very vocal) Red-winged Blackbird. My first RWBL last year was on 2/28/17 so I was listening for them today! 


--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment