Sunday 9 July 2023

[Maine-birds] Re: Nearest Bicknell’s thrush to Augusta

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on finding a Bicknell's Thrush. I ended up going to Saddleback ski resort and climbing up to the summit. You weren't kidding about that being a difficult hike! Brutal for a well fed middle aged bloke such as myself. I got to the summit junction with the AT at about 8:15 am and slowly walked along the ridge for about a kilometer over the course of the next hour, looking and listening. We were in the clouds with mist streaming by, temp about 67°. Merlin heard several distant Bicknell's calls, but I never heard them at all, either live or on Merlin playback. I could see the sonogram, but they were too soft for me to hear via my iPhone speaker (I blame my front row attendance at a Who concert in 1975 for my diminished hearing. Worth it.)

I was starting to have my first thoughts of maybe packing it in when a Bicknell's showed up about 50 meters from where I was standing. I got great views, photos, audio, and 30 sec or so of video. (eBird checklist coming later).

Hiking back down was, if anything, even harder than going up.  Worth it.

Chris Spurgeon
(On vacation in) Belgrade Lakes
On Saturday, July 8, 2023 at 2:09:26 PM UTC-4 Chris Spurgeon wrote:
I'm in Maine for a week, staying in the Waterville/Augusta area. I wanted to head out tomorrow (Sunday) to try to see a Bicknell's Thrush.  It seems like the closest spot for me to try is Saddleback Mountain, but there have been no eBird reports of a Bicknell's there for about two weeks.  Is that still a good place to go, or should I go further afield into New Hampshire, where they've been reported in the last couple of days? Thanks in advance!

Chris Spurgeon
(Temporarily in) Belgrade, ME

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/f23cb101-7dda-43ab-9c51-f69238a19b43n%40googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment