Saturday 10 November 2012

[Maine-birds] good birds around Cape Eliz/SoPo

Greetings, birding friends -- I feel like I can barely call myself a
birder these days; so short has been my birding time. But happily a
few good birds still fly my way when I'm out walking with Tashi.
Yesterday down by the bathhouse at Crescent Beach State Park I was
stoked to see and hear four female-type Pine Grosbeaks fly by. They
all tried at once to land on a moving weathervane (the tallest thing
around), which was wicked cute and also evocative of their frequent
"top of the pine tree" perch choices the few times I've gotten to hang
out with them in the sub-arctic. A little further along the beach I
happened upon a lone Snow Bunting, a solo Sanderling, and a very
cooperative "Ipswich" Savannah Sparrow. The droves of Yellow-rumped
Warblers seem to have largely moved on from the area.

White-winged Scoters have returned to the "fish shack" point on the
south end of Willard Beach, and were cruising close enough to shore
this morning to put Tashi into duck hunting mode. A Common Loon was
vocalizing quietly; a perfect auditory counterpoint to the warm sun
and quiet water.

In Robinson Woods, I had both kinglet species in the same bino field,
a Brown Creeper on a nearby tree, and a Red-breasted Nuthatch tooting
in the background. Lots of blow-downs in there in recent days...

Two new birds for my yard this week: Merlin and Hermit Thrush.

Peace & good birding,

Scott Cronenweth
Cape Elizabeth, ME
scott@naturalpathwalks.com
www.naturalpathwalks.com




--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment