Monday 14 July 2014

[Maine-birds] Late post - Forster's Tern @ Hills Beach 7/11

Sorry for the late post, but I was going through some photos last night and noticed that behind one of the Royal Terns seen on 7/11 was a Forster's Tern. I don't know how I could have missed this in the field. Maybe it was the fact that I was looking at my first ever Royal Terns! The bird seems more obvious the more I look at the photos and it is funny sorting through them chronologically because the FOTE appears from the tail end of one of the ROYT's and eventually "hides" directly behind it, with only legs showing, but then pops out from the direction the ROYT is facing. It almost seemed like it was daring me to notice it!

I have only seen this species in nonbreeding plumage previously and later in fall (Sept-Oct) when other terns are gone and this species is more expected. Be on the lookout!

Bird haahd,
Noah Gibb-Portland

0 comments:

Post a Comment