Tuesday 30 June 2015

[Maine-birds] Northern Goshawk - Back Cove 6/30/15 AM

Yes, I was very surprised to find an adult male nearly invisible in the tall grass near the water at around 7:40 AM. Not his usual habitat at all. I initially observed him for 20 minutes. He never moved or changed position (fully facing me) or even turned his head. All I could see was the straight-on face with black head cap and red eyes, and his pale grey chest.  I could not make out any barrings, but that could have been distance (about 50 - 60 ft with 10x43 bins) or possibly having chest feathers slightly raised. I ultimately left and continued my walk.  Twenty minutes later when I passed his spot again he was still there, posture unchanged. His location: walking (or driving) away from Hannaford along Baxter Blvd, between mile post 1.5 and post 1.75, closer to first. Also between fancy metal seat and stone bench, and extremely close to the large hollow tree on the water side. I kept looking for another walker with bins, but there were none, so I could not get a verified sighting.

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment