Wednesday 30 March 2016

[Maine-birds] MDI Snow Goose and wigeon

When I read reports of Snow Geese, I fondly reminisce my days in the Champlain Valley when we saw tens of thousands. Here on Mount Desert Island, Snow Geese are a very uncommon occurrence: I can easily go the entire year without seeing one. So yesterday, when a flock of Canada Geese flew overhead, I was immediately struck by the fact that one in the skein was significantly smaller and whiter. Raising my binoculars, I was pleased to see what may end up being my one MDI Snow Goose for the year.

Today, I finally had a chance to chase Craig Kesselheim’s American Wigeon of a couple days ago. SUCCESS! I found the bird in Bass Harbor Marsh, mixed in with the Mallards and American Black Ducks.


Richard MacDonald
The Natural History Center
P.O. Box 6
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
207/266-9461
Rich@TheNaturalHistoryCenter.com
www.TheNaturalHistoryCenter.com
www.facebook.com/TheNaturalHistoryCenter

0 comments:

Post a Comment