Saturday 28 January 2017

[Maine-birds] re: hawk in our yard

Hope no one minds my sticking my nose into this conversation, but this friend of mine has been a bird watcher and especially hawk watcher all his life. He worked for TNC.

Gerry replied with these two comments. You'll have to put the punctuation in, sorry. I think in the second line, he meant a period after "male Cooper's". (I put one in, to make it easier to read.) 
It has been a lot of years since he was the official counter at Derby, but he was the pro, and I would bet, except for his caveat, still is. His email name, by the way, is Goshawk.
Barbara
~~~

"I will assume same bird in photo one as in two right? Ok tail proportions and breast makings suggest Sharpie size would allow for possible very small male Cooper's. Northern Goshawk and female Cooper's Hawk are eliminated Bird in first photo is protecting its prey so it's size is exaggerated second picture makes tail look shorter than it probably is I still am inclined to Big female sharpie but those who think it's a male Cooper's have fun. The transitional plumage of this individual adds to potential confusion. This is a wonderful example of why photos, even good ones, may not be definitive at least to me. Flying accipters are so much easier because proportions and underparts plumage are so clear. I just remembered why I swore off perched small accipiter photos when I turned 65 Have fun with this one"
________
Then I asked if he meant it could not be a gos, and he replied this:
______
"plumage size lack of prominent eyeline all wrong not a gos female coops or male Sharpie for sure still think female Sharpie "
~~~~~~~~~~

Kestrel at Maguire Rd in K'bunk today, on top of a telephone pole. I always look for them at the Plains, but haven't seen one in quite a few years,Common, I know.

Barbara Partridge Herrgesell
Sanford, ME
herpartb@aol.com

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment