Monday 10 July 2017

[Maine-birds] KWW Monument

I FINALLY had a chance to bird the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument this morning, leaving home at 4am, and birding by 6am.

 

My first overwhelming impression: Veeries everywhere. I heard more Veeries in two hours than I’ve totaled in my entire life. And since much of the loop is early successional forest, there was an abundance of chestnut-sided warblers. The usual plethora of Magnolias and Nashvilles, too.

 

Mostly, the 16-mile loop is predominantly deciduous, so I didn’t find many places that looked good for boreal species. At a high point at Mile 8, I was surprised to hear a Fox Sparrow. They’re common in those parts, of course, but the spot seemed too deciduous to be inviting. I don’t usually hear them in close proximity to Veeries and Black-throated Blue Warblers.

 

Encountered both crossbills. I had one flock of 15 red crossbills picking up gravel right in front of me. I’m not certain of subspecies, Doug Hitchcox. Which one is dead silent?

 

Bob Duchesne


Virus-free. www.avast.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment