Wednesday 19 July 2017

[Maine-birds] Re: Rare Bird Alert

There are several options available online to limit bird strikes to your window you should look into.

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 4:21:16 AM UTC-4, Kenneth S Mirman wrote:
It is my understanding that the Leach's Storm Petrel is common in Maine in July. I thought you might be interested in a report of one striking a window at my house at 2:30 AM

Leach's Storm Petrel 
I heard two thumps against a window at my home in Machiasport, Maine along the Little Kennebec Bay. I saw a Leach's Storm Petrel on the deck flapping its wings but facing the house.
The bird was dark brown
A light band reached the leading edge of the wing
The tail was definitely forked (obviously so)
The distal portion of the white rump patch was not rounded but gave a more triangular appearance with possibly a central dark vertical  band separating the patch.

After a few minutes it disappeared (while I was looking for my camera). 

If of interest, the winds were South at  5 to 10 kt. and the sea was 2 to 3 feet.There was widespread fog with visibility less than 1 nautical mile.

Unfortunately, I have had several species of bird strikes at my house but never a petrel. 




--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment