Monday 6 February 2023

[Maine-birds] Me & the Stellar's Sea Eagle

It was later in the day yesterday and I had heard the eagle was in view at Frying Pt. Preserve. I got there & parked behind 27 cars, I counted. Then walked a mile almost to the spot when everyone came walking towards me. Needless to say it took flight southish up river. So I walked all the way back, almost to the beginning and took the other fork in the trail up river. Two gentlemen from NY joined me. They had seen the bird fly off and were going to leave but the thought of a 5hr drive back made them delay. So we walked a mile or so when I saw a beat up path on the left side that was somewhat close to the river. I told them I was going to check the river area & they decided not to join me & went on. I got to the marshy shore of the river and set up my scope. As I scanned the opposite side of the river I got to a point across from me and about 150 yards away, up in big pine sat the Stellar's Sea Eagle!! I couldn't believe it. While it wasn't ideal for photos, I did have a perfect, unobstructed view of the bird through the scope. I watched it watch the river for a half hour or so til it got to dark.  I could hear only the cracking of the ice, a distant goose here and there & the wings of ducks as the flew off to roost. No voices or traffic could be heard. This was a moment in time unlike any other in my life. A moment mere words couldn't possibly accurately convey. 

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/CABvRp4k11PthtHe7yPUsoZqvA-m9Cftrrg7HdeXXXhvJJjLX2A%40mail.gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment