Wednesday 10 May 2023

[Maine-birds] Hunting behavior of the Cooper's Hawk

I arrived home late this morning from errands to find a Cooper's hawk on the ground about 10' from the feeders working on a meal. I felt certain it was immature. Much browner than an adult, and rather scraggly or undefined markings. Also, it kept looking around as if it felt a bit unsure.
It was in the leaf litter and I could not see what it had, but I could not see any feather detritus and it was pulling away at the prey more like the work of eating a rodent than a bird. It flew off after not much time, so I went out to investigate. Sure enough it was a chipmunk. I know they do eat rodents as well, but the feeders are busy with all kinds of birds so I was intrigued. 
WARNING - graphic description ahead:
The bird had eaten the head clean off, and pierced the lower belly as if looking for a specific organ.
Late in the afternoon, I was working outside and saw out of the corner of my eye, a large fast flying bird. I ran around to see (the same?) Cooper's Hawk in a tree about 20' from the feeders. It stayed in the same spot for quite awhile. Finally it made a move and flew quickly down to the ground in pursuit of something. It came up empty taloned and perched again about 20' from the feeders on the opposite side. Definitely immature, and I felt it might be the same bird - the same scruffy tail feathers.  It stayed on that 2nd perch for quite some time. It got a little agitated a couple times as if to make a move, although few birds were around and they were staying high, they seemed to be aware. Then the hawk looked around and dived down to the ground right to the same spot where the chipmunk lay. It hopped up slowly, one hop, look around, another hop, look around until it was back to the chipmunk. It looked around a lot as if it was sure another bird would come take it. Then it grabbed the chipmunk and flew off another 20-25' and perched on a log. It was very hesitant, but then preceded to tear apart the whole thing, it took some time.
I'm fascinated that it returned to this carcass, and wondered if this is normal. As an immature bird, I'm sure it has more misses than hits, but I was so glad I did not move the chipmunk - I briefly thought about burying it - but figured some crows or something would make use of the rest of the carcass. 
I am really glad I had the time to watch this whole thing play out. Really fascinating.

Post Script:
In real time, I was sure I was watching this all happen with a Sharp-shinned Hawk, but before posting, I thought I should review, and I came across Nick Lund's very helpful comparison article in the Audubon online magazine. I just always think both of these birds should be bigger than they are! This bird was definitely at least as big as a crow.

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/e2cbd150-d27c-4c3d-b058-639149e5d273n%40googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment