Monday 31 October 2016

[Maine-birds] Re: Mr Weasel

Some 40 years ago and not knowing any better I took in an orphaned raccoon. She proved to be very affectionate while growing up and was a delight to have around.  Wonderful vocabulary of chortles and purring.  This was fine until the end of summer when she grew up and started being very aggressive toward our very young children. I trapped her, easily done since all I had to do was pick her up.  I drove a mile or so, crossed a bridge over a moderate sized river, then drove a few more miles and released her.  In just over 24 hours she was back at the house.  We then had to try to discourage her from being around us.  In a few weeks she had young in the wood box next to the back door.  Fortunately it had a lid so I could close it and move the box a few hundred yards from the house.  This was enough to keep her away.  Lesson learned.  A wild animal will be a wild animal.  Let wildlife rescue experts manage orphans.

On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 12:31:20 PM UTC-4, Ken DiBiccari wrote:
I have received a few emails from well intentioned people about me catching and releasing the Weasel away from my home.

I was torn between letting it stay on my property to kill the bad rodents like mice and moles and voles that are always around my bird feeders.

But Weasels climb trees and they hunt mostly at night and could kill and eat the song birds that sleep in my hemlocks and arborvitaes.

Another reason is I have seen it going in and out of a hole next to my foundation and I don't want it up in the walls of my house for the winter.

Finally, I have 8 chickens that I enjoy the fresh eggs from and when the Weasel runs out of rodents to eat guess what is next on the menu.

Oh and by way, all rodents carry ticks and fleas and this Weasel had 2 ticks on him, one on his ear and one on his chest. I don't need another

carrier running around spreading ticks in my yard where my dog plays and I do my gardening.


Ken DiBiccari 

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment