Thursday 27 April 2017

[Maine-birds] Viles Arboretum coming to life - Virginia Rail, Wilson's Snipe, etc.

I stopped in to Viles Arboretum late this afternoon to see if I could locate the Virginia Rail Don Mairs had tipped me off to when I ran into him along the Messalonskee Marsh.

The bird was vocal ("kiddick" calls) and conspicuous upon arrival. It even crossed the path between the two cattail ponds within 5' of where I stood. After crossing, the rail disappeared into the vegetation and performed grunt vocalizations while out of view.

I walked down Piggery Rd. and cut into the arboretum where I made my way to Viles Pond. Approaching the pond, the winnowing of a descending Wilson's Snipe could be heard. Shortly thereafter, a male Northern Harrier flew through the area and out of view. A Broad-winged Hawk called nearby. I made my way through the trails along which I found a very vocal pair of Northern Flicker and (for the botanist among us) flowering Bloodroot.

I returned to Piggery Rd. and traveled east. In the parking area near the Youth Memorial Fields, I observed a Northern Harrier (perhaps the same individual as before) pursuing a lone Killdeer before giving up and flying out over the soccer fields. I counted a dozen Savannah Sparrow in the vegetation skirting this parking area before continuing down the road towards Cony Rd. On the grounds of the old Kennebec County Jail garden I observed a pair of Killdeer in addition to a lone Wilson's Snipe probing the ground. Additional Wilson's Snipe (2) winnowed in the skies above while Tree Swallows (6) darted back and forth.

Song Sparrows (8), singing American Robins (5), and Icterids of all varieties were plentiful throughout the duration. Trees of all species are flowering and leafing up giving the place a very welcome tinge of green.

Here's a link to the complete checklist (pictures to be added tomorrow):
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36316214

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment