Monday 4 June 2018

Re: [Maine-birds] Help with duck ID

Interesting! Thanks Bob! I'm copying this to Maine Birds. Thanks 


Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2018, at 4:51 PM, Bob Tarte <enslavedbyducks@gmail.com> wrote:

They could well be Black Cayuga, female or juvenile. Bluish bill color is a definite possibility there. And the body shape and overall color seems to match.

--
Bob Tarte

NEW BOOK:
FEATHER BRAINED
My Bumbling Quest to Become a Birder and Find a Rare Bird On My Own
(University of Michigan Press)
 
OTHER BOOKS:
Enslaved By Ducks
Fowl Weather
Kitty Cornered

On Jun 4, 2018, at 4:46 PM, Ann Hancock <annhancock9@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me, Bob. Yes,  they are a puzzle. The bill color looks bluish to me so that is confusing. Maybe it's an artifact of the photo, though?

Anyway, some things are unanswerable. Thanks again for your  note. 
Ann



Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2018, at 4:37 PM, Bob Tarte <enslavedbyducks@gmail.com> wrote:

Anne,

They look like Mallards or American Black Ducks in terms of body shape and bill shape. But they aren't. I suspect these are farm ducks, domesticated Mallards that escaped or were dumped. They look to me like juveniles.

I hope they do okay in the wild. It looks like they'll be able to fly. Their bodies aren't too heavy.

If you are asking what kind of domesticated ducks they are, I have no clue. There are so many versions of Mallards!

Nice hearing from you.

--
Bob Tarte

NEW BOOK:
FEATHER BRAINED
My Bumbling Quest to Become a Birder and Find a Rare Bird On My Own
(University of Michigan Press)
 
OTHER BOOKS:
Enslaved By Ducks
Fowl Weather
Kitty Cornered

On Jun 4, 2018, at 4:00 PM, Ann Hancock <annhancock9@gmail.com> wrote:

Bob
I live in Maine now but I remember your posts on Birders fondly. An ID question has come up and I thought of you immediately. 

Can you please  ID these handsome ducks?

(And copy me on your reply,please?)
Thanks for any help!

Ann Hancock
Scarborough Maine

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Delia Guzman <dguzman1964@gmail.com>
Date: June 4, 2018 at 3:16:52 PM EDT
To: bradford.kraft@maine.edu
Cc: Maine birds <maine-birds@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Maine-birds] Help with duck ID

I think they might be mutt-ducks. I don't even know if they're ducks--their heads/bills almost look goose-like. But that's my initial and quite untutored opinion.
Delia in Brunswick 

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 2:33 PM, <bradford.kraft@maine.edu> wrote:
Hi all,

I spotted these ducks near Mesalonskee Stream in Waterville.  Does anyone know what they are?

Thanks,
Brad



--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.







0 comments:

Post a Comment