Tuesday 24 June 2014

[Maine-birds] bittern in Sidney

We appear to have a neighborhood bittern. I heard it earlier this spring in a wetland, then glimpsed an unusual brown something--not-a-hawk--disappearing into the hay across the street or flying over the treeline towards another wetland. I never had my binocs handy--until yesterday. I happened to be out in the yard with my glasses when it flew in and was able to i.d. it. Question: since when do bitterns feed in hay fields?

Today out on my bike I saw the bittern flying back from the wetland towards the hay field.

Also seen/heard from my bike:
a field sparrow has definitely moved in on Goodhue near the intersection with the Middle Road. I hear it daily.
broad winged hawk mobbed by jays. Flew across the road in front of me.
eastern wood pewee
alder flycatcher (second I've heard this spring--I haven't heard them here before).
brown creeper
9 warblers (out of 11 local breeders--can never seem to get the full slate): yellow, c. yellowthroat, redstart, bl. and white, bt green, n. parula, pine, ovenbird, ch. sided.
missed the meadowlarks today on the 8 Rod Road in Waterville, but have been seeing them regularly.

In our yard:
tree swallows are about to fledge
baby wb nuthatches are learning to dine at the feeder
blue birds are busy feeding young


Julia






--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment