Wednesday 21 October 2015

[Maine-birds] Buzzed in Buxton by Barred Owl

Hey Guys

I've just had one of the strangest bird experiences ever. I wonder if anyone else has had the same?

As usual, I was walking our two dogs, a Scottish Deerhound and a Papillon, at around a mostly still dark 6:15am, along with William, our 15lb tomcat who always walks faithfully along with us.

We were making our way along Laura Lane in Buxton, a small, single track private road cut through the woods and were buzzed by a very large and silent flyer, who sailed past my head by a foot or so. I guessed owl because of the size and lack of sound but wasn't 100% sure.

Anyway, the dogs and I returned to the house after another 10 minutes. I walked them into the garage, put them inside the house and realized, as happens nearly every time, that slow-coach William was still somewhere on the street, though I could hear his "where are you?" caterwaul.

As William ran down the driveway and up to me, I scooped him up and just as I straightened up, I almost had the Owl in my face, swooping down with wings fully outstretched. He (or she) made a quick decision to break off the "attack" and flew into one of the trees by the side of the house.

I was speechless. The Barred Owl (easy to tell when he's nearly in your face) must've followed us along about a half mile of road. I can't think what s/he was trying to do. William would surely have been a little too large to take?

Anyway, quite a morning for us!

—mco

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment