Wednesday 27 January 2016

[Maine-birds] Black throated sparrow NO

I spent most of the day in Winter Harbor today hoping to find this bird. I started out watching the feeder and environs at 13 Barnacle Lane. On two separate occasions a flock of mixed birds came in to feed, but the sparrow was not among them. After abou 2 hours I decided to check some of the other locations where the bird had been seen. Most of the feeders on Hillcrest Lane we're empty. The second to last house on the road had a feeder out back with several birds feeding. I watched there for quite a while, but still no BTSP. I listened for it's call, but did not hear it. I left to go drive the Schoodic Loop Road to look for seabirds. It was very windy and the sea was quite rough. Despite the temperature of 43 degrees it felt quite cold! I saw many species, but nothing unusual. I returned to Barnacle Lane and watched some more, but still no BTSP. I looked and listened along Hillcrest Lane as well. I scoured the scrub, but did not find it. Finally as the street lights came on I decided it was time to leave. I was disappointed, but still felt it was a good day!

Birds seen in Winter Harbor include:
American tree sparrow - 3
Mourning doves - 9
Black capped chickadees - 19
European starling - 15
Bald eagle - 1 adult and 1 4th year ( nearly white head mostly brown body)
Dark eyed juncos - 7
American goldfinch - 1
Downy woodpecker - 1
Northern Mockingbird - 1
Gulls - many

Along Schoodic Loop Road:
Common goldeneye - 20
Barrow's goldeneye - 17
Black guillemots - 8
Common loon - 5
Common eider - 12 - mostly females
Red breasted merganser - 3
Buffleheads 12
Long tailed duck - 8
Black scoter 5
Surf scoter 3
White winged scoter 12

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment