Wednesday 20 January 2016

Re: [Maine-birds] Fwd: William Laverty sent you an article

Interesting and thought provoking article about pollution and birds.
Thanks William.


But I'd would like to comment on Cher Ami, the bird mentioned by name in the article.

If someone(s) took me from what I know as home, tied something to my leg without my consent, fired shot after shot at me as I struggled to return home, burdened further by the thing on my leg, and then killed me: I would posthumously object and vehemently, at being called Cher Ami (Dear Friend).

That bird was not treated dearly or in any way as a friend. (Nor were the other 2 birds who were shot and killed on the same flight before arriving "home").

She was not "delivering a message," she was trying to get home. She was shot through her breast, lost an eye and had a leg dangling by connective tissue and yet she rose, not to deliver a message, but to GET HOME. Her nature was being exploited and it cost her great suffering and ultimately her life. She did not enlist in the military.

To add insult to injury and ultimately death, she was given a male name and is still referred to as male by the military and the National Museum. She might more honestly have been named: Cooked Goose.

Boots.
Franklin, ME

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 5:31 PM, William Laverty <welaverty@gmail.com> wrote:
found this article in the Economist....".Air pollution seems to speed up birds not slow them down "

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment