Monday 18 January 2016

[Maine-birds] Owls Head gull and Rockport sparrow

Many thanks to Scott Hall for initially identifying the mew gull at the Owls Head lobster pens yesterday. I took some photos today that appear to confirm this 1st-winter bird from the subspecies brachyrhynchus. I had intermittently noticed this same gull at the harbor, but did not register a correct ID. Multiple observers are often a distinct advantage. On my return trip home, I spotted a possible grasshopper sparrow at the junction of Rockville and Mills streets in Rockport (this is a parallel road to RTE 17 and is located directly behind the Green Thumb greenhouse.) The chunky, short-tailed sparrow stood at roadside, but then entered cover and disappeared in a snow squall. I got a brief look at the buffy breast, dark lateral crown stripes with obvious light to buffy median crown stripe.
 
Don

0 comments:

Post a Comment