Thursday 31 August 2017

[Maine-birds] North Maine Woods

It’s tough birding in the North Maine Woods. I just returned from three days at the upper end of Chamberlain Lake. I always wanted to visit the locomotives that were left in the woods on the edge of Eagle Lake, just a 15 minute walk north of Chamberlain. Good news: few biting insects this time of year. Bad news: access was a little difficult, full of mud and shorebirds…including a couple of American Golden Plovers….plus scads of Least Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers, and both Yellowlegs. After successfully fighting my way past them, I reached the woodland trail, only to be accosted by a calling Black-backed Woodpecker. It would not shut up, tormenting me as I entered the woods to the nearby sound of Boreal Chickadees.

 

But, I suppose the biggest challenge was to figure out which of the 14 species of Red Crossbill was making all the noise…or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6plWDmMdAFs

 

Bob Duchesne

Woodpecker Whisperer

 

 


Virus-free. www.avast.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment