Wednesday 30 August 2017

[Maine-birds] Re: Amazing Nighthawk Migration

My observations were made in Portland

On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 7:54:50 PM UTC-4, rine...@gmail.com wrote:
Very exciting!  But where are you?  Maine is a big state....

Here in Harrison (western foothills), I kept an eye to the sky, but didn't see a single one.

Do they congregate toward the coast?

Jan

On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 7:21:26 PM UTC-4, Brendan McKay wrote:
Judging from the other reports from this evening, a massive movement of nighthawks passed through the area. I got out of work at 6:15pm and noticed 4-5 nighthawks migrating overhead and I had a good feeling that more would be to follow. I got home and waited for more in my driveway but I was not prepared for what I was about to witness. Between 6:25 and 6:55pm I counted 414 nighthawks, counted by 2's. I tried to capture a photo that portrayed the magnitude of birds in the air but they were always dispersed enough to make that a difficult thing to accomplish. Absolutely amazing!

My eBird report is here;


I will upload some photos soon!

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment