Wednesday 30 October 2013

[Maine-birds] greater white-fronted goose and snow goose

Since I was headed to southern Maine yesterday morning, I decided to search *goose fields* there for the first time ever. Thornhurst Farm fields in North Yarmouth provided plenty to see. I counted 595 Canada geese scattered throughout the viewable fields, but no other goose species. After seeing smaller flocks throughout the local area, I headed to Smiling Hill Farm in Westbrook. There were many geese scattered throughout those fields. At 11:45, I stopped along County Rd., overlooking a small pond down the hill from the farm. I counted 22 Canada geese there, but while I was counting, more and more geese flew in from the fields. I kept counting, and ended up with 221 Canada geese and 1 greater white-fronted goose. They were all there when I left at 12:15.
 
 
On the way home today, I stopped at Sebasticook Lake in Newport. I counted 365 Canada geese and 1 snow goose there, along with many other waterfowl.
 
Jerry Smith in Orrington

0 comments:

Post a Comment