Wednesday 23 October 2013

[Maine-birds] Northern Maine Birds: Rough-legged Hawk, White-winged Scoter

There is a nip in the air today.

On my way to a meeting this AM, I spotted a big hawk hovering over a grassy field and expected that this was going to be my first Rough-legged Hawk of the season.  When I stopped and glassed the bird I was a bit surprised to see the hawk was a Red-tailed Hawk doing a pretty good Roughie imitation.

A couple miles down the road (the Burlock Road in Presque Isle to be exact) I came upon another raptor kiting over a field.  This bird didn't let me down..it was a handsome light phase Rough-legged Hawk.  Arriving right on schedule by my records.  A Northern Cardinal calling from a hedgerow nearby was another good bird for the county.

Post-meeting I stopped for a minute at Trafton Lake in Limestone and found Canada Geese, Hooded and Common Mergansers and couple Ring-necked Ducks.  A small flock of divers out in the middle of the lake turned out to be 5 Ruddy Ducks and a couple a Buffleheads.  I assumed the lone scoter that was also mid-pond would be the Black Scoter juvie I saw earlier this week, but it turned out to be a juvie White-winged Scoter instead.

With the exception of American Robins, passerines are thinning out quickly.  I still have plenty of Dark-eyed Juncos, a couple of White-throats and three Chipping Sparrows remaining in my yard.  An American Tree Sparrow finally joined them this AM...a bit tardy it seems.

Good birding

Bill

--
Bill Sheehan
Woodland, Aroostook Co., Maine
http://northernmainebirds.blogspot.com/

--
--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment