Thursday 7 December 2017

[Maine-birds] winter birding

I just finished a video on where to go birding Downeast in winter. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgStE2-cUDA&t=1s).  But the weirdest thing about the whole endeavor was this: I arrived at Schoodic Point midday last Friday, and there was nobody else there. Nobody. No cars, even. It's one of the most iconic places in Maine, and I had it all to myself. In fact, I had a coastline the size of Connecticut all to myself. Downeast birding kinda spoils you.

 

One thing was kinda funny: On Saturday, I visited Schoppee Point in Roque Bluffs. The parking lot was full of trailers, which had transported the duck hunting boats I could now see out in the bay. One boat, conspicuous despite its attempt at camouflage, had a string of long-tailed duck decoys trailing behind the anchorage. As I watched, I saw occasional long-tails fly that way, then veer off, never within range. Those are some pretty smart ducks out there.

 

Bob Duchesne


Virus-free. www.avast.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment