Wednesday 22 August 2012

[Maine-birds] Bar harbor Whale Watch Cory's and Manx Shearwater plus ...

Hi,
 
Was visiting the past couple of weeks.  Not sure what is notable, but saw Cory's mentioned in another post, so I thought I would mention my sightings from the Bar Harbor boat.  We went out 8/10, but saw no whales, so got a free ride on 8/15 too!
 
On 8/10 there was an outstanding school of Herring at the surface which attracted hunderds of Greater Shearwaters and Gulls, (as well as a huge Ocean Sunfish).  I photographed one Manx Shearwater amongst them.  Another person on the boat said he saw a Sooty Shearwater, but I did not.
 
On 8/15, I photographed one Cory's Shearwater, and there may have been another, or it could have been the same one.  Also managed to id one Leach's Storm Petrel and one Red Phalarope.  There may have been more of these two, amongst the many Wilson's Storm Petrels and Red-Necked Phalaropes.  If anyone has a minute to comment on the status of these species at this time and place, I would be interested! 
 
What a blast!  One more thing:  I photo'd and took down info. on a tagged and banded Ring-Billed Gull at our campground on the Schoodic Peninsula.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to whom I should forward this info?
 
Thanks!
 
Curt from Michigan
 

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment