Saturday 29 June 2013

[Maine-birds] Cape Neddick West - Mourning Doves as prey

I was late in witnessing the hijacking of yet another MoDo from beneath my feeders.  At first I though it was a Blue Jay harassing the doves and the cries were not that of a Blue Jay but I thought possibly could be.  Off in the distance I thought the size of the marauder was about Blue Jay size too.

Anyone want to guess what kind of bird it might be on this paltry bit of info?  The doves nest in my blue spruce every year so I hate to have them raised as groceries.  But then again, I'm a RTHawk watcher on the Cornell web cam for a second year.  I just walked away when the doves and chippies brought to the nest got to looking too gruesome.

Reply to a much earlier observation about Thrushes -- I heard a faint call of the Wood Thrush just once this summer about two weeks ago on a woods trail just west of the turnpike on the Ogunquit Cape Neddick line on Ogunquit Rd.  Never since.  Also, I've never had a BT Green Warbler or Chestnut-sided take up residence in my neck of the woods before. 

Thanks to all for furthering my avian education :-)


--
--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment