Monday 24 June 2013

[Maine-birds] Re. banded Ibis, Scarborough

Re. the banded Ibis I reported at Eastern Road, Scarborough Marsh on Thursday:  it's been brought to my attention that the bird in my photo shows no specific characteristics of a White-faced Ibis (such as pink legs, which I knew the bird didn't have, but was ready to call it a WFIB anyway, as some sources and photos give examples of this species with drab legs with only a hint of pink around the knees), and subtler details I'm not familiar enough with the species to pick out.   However I DID see the face clearly and the white around the eyes appeared very pronounced, and I've seen plenty of Glossies with a thin whitish outline around their eyes...  this one appeared to have much wider "spectacles" than any Glossy I've seen before.   However, due to the fact that my photo isn't conclusive, in the interest of science I'm willing to call this one "Unspecified banded Ibis" for the time being.   If anyone relocates the bird, please drop me an email with your observations/feedback.   Thanks,
 
Sean Smith

0 comments:

Post a Comment