Sunday 30 November 2014

[Maine-birds] 11/29 - Pemaquid Point and Reid SP

Hi all,

First off, many thanks to everyone who responded to my query earlier this week. Although I didn't have time to visit nearly all the spots people recommended, I feel that I now have a good grasp on where to bird along the midcoast. 

I arrived at Pemaquid Point around 7:15 a.m. to find a good number of birds. Personal highlights were a large raft of Common Eider, several Black Guillimots, and two Great Cormorants. Long-tailed Ducks, Black Scoters, and White-winged Scoters all put in an appearance, and a large flock of Bonaparte's Gulls fed offshore. Perhaps the most unusual birds of the morning were two Lesser Black-backed Gulls seen well flying over the lighthouse, although unfortunately I didn't realize this was a notable sighting here until I entered the checklist in eBird, so I didn't take any photos. I met Don Reimer, who was kind enough to show me the thicket where the Yellow-breasted Chat has been seen, although the bird did not appear in the brief time we looked for it.

After lunch, I drove down to Reid State Park where, in addition to most of the previously-mentioned species, I added Surf-Scoter, Sanderling, many Red-necked Grebes, and one extremely distant Northern Gannet. Dozens of beautiful Long-tailed Ducks put on a show in great light very close to shore, and both Common and Red-throated Loons plied the waters farther out. Despite careful searching, I was unable to find any Purple Sandpipers or murres, but I nonetheless enjoyed a wonderful day of birding and exploring. 

Cheers,
Don Jones
Laramie, WY / Middlebury, VT


--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment