Sunday 15 February 2015

[Maine-birds] Portland and South Portland - Various Locations - Peregrine Falcons, Bald Eagles, and Cooper's Hawk

Hey all, 
Due to the Fizzard (fizzled blizzard) I decided to brave the cold and take a look around at a couple of places while I ran errands. 

Mackworth Island had only Chickadees that were out and about on land that I could see. The water had Buffleheads, Common Eiders, and Common Goldeneye. There was one Hooded Merganser near a hole in the ice as well. As I turned to leave I was overflown by a pair of Bald Eagles which was a nice surprise. 

The bridge near Martin's Point. Damn was this windy. I could barely keep my feet. One female Common Merganser, one male Common Goldeneye, and 15 Common Eider. The area where I parked had a flock of about 25 European Starlings. 

Martin's Point Remax Office. Cove was iced over so I was not going to stick around until I noticed the pair of Eagles I had seen on Mackworth sitting on the branches of a tree about 100 yards down. They took off and rounded the corner towards Falmouth, and one reappeared very quickly and headed off towards B&M/Back Bay,

I then  ran into some Robins and Starlings up on the Eastern Prom across from the School. 

I decided to try again for the Peregrine's under the Casco Bay Bridge. I drove over, spent a bit looking around (other than the usual pigeons and  some House Sparrows hunkered down in a bush beside the path) so I decided to leave. I drove back over the bridge and saw one of the Falcons being harassed by a Crow so I turned around and went back. I located them under the large support in the middle (the large full cement one next to the end of the pier in Tommy's Park). As I was walking down towards the dock I thought it started snowing but realized it was feathers. Looking up I saw the male pulling something apart out of view and puffs of feathers kept flying out. Once he was done, the female came out from the girders above and took her turn. I watched for an hour or so hoping one of them would fly some more, but no luck. I entertained myself with the Common Loons, Common Goldeneye, large number of Great Black Backed and Herring Gulls, a large flock of Mallard, and then looking up, was treated to a Cooper's Hawk flying from South Portland towards Portland to hassle the Mallards that had just flown by. 

I have posted some photos at http://flashart.smugmug.com/Birding/

Great day!


--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment