Saturday 21 February 2015

[Maine-birds] Wells Gyrfalcon

Greetings all,

 

First of all, thanks Steve for posting my observation from yesterday morning – I was away for a couple of days with no internet access and wanted word to get out.

 

Since a couple of people have asked for updates, and seeing none, I figured I could at least provide a little more detail on the sighting.

 

I got to the end of the docks on Harbor Road around 9:00 and braved the winds to scan around the harbor for ducks and whatnot. The Gyr came up from the south low over the water on the east side, passing directly opposite the end of the pier. It then rose and circled a few times, went down the outlet of the harbor toward the ocean - briefly passing out of sight – then came back and put up all the gulls to the north of the pier. Then it landed on the ice-covered point and I called Steve. To do the latter I ducked between two buildings to get out of the wind, and when I looked again I could not find the bird.  L

 

But it’s clearly still around somewhere, although with increasing snow piles seemingly everywhere, find places to stop and look for it is only going to get harder.

 

Pam Hunt

Back home in Concord, NH (and look, more snow!)

 

“The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of those who have not viewed the world.”

      - Alexander von Humboldt

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment