Sunday 24 May 2015

[Maine-birds] Unidentified Golden-Plover, Pine Point, 5/24

Hi all,

I joined my good friend Gabriel Willow and his NYC Audubon tour group for part of the day today. At Pine Point, we found a GOLDEN-PLOVER, near the mouth of the Nonesuch River across from the co-op pier at dead-low late this morning.

Simply put: it was too far and I don't know.

Distance plus heat shimmer made for challenging viewing. I was satisfied calling it an American Golden-Plover (very rare in spring), except it clearly had mostly, or completely, white undertail coverts. Taking a hard look, a few structural features began to bother me as well.  Unfortunately, it was just too far and with too much distortion to confidently judge primary projection, specific plumage details, etc. And of course, it did not fly.

Gabriel and I spent more than enough of the group's time with this bird before needing to be on our way (although one member of the group did try to hire a lobsterman for a closer view). I returned about an hour and a half later, but the tide had come in just a little too much, and the bird (and most of the Black-bellied Plovers that were around at the time) was nowhere to be seen. 

I've posted some of the worst, distant phone-scoped photos you'll see, and be warned, there are more convincing photos of the Loch Ness Monster:

These are horrific photos, and the more I look at them, the less I know. Gabriel might have had some better luck digi-scoping with an SLR and adapter, but it will be a bit before he can get those photos on a computer.

But I post this as a heads-up to anyone who might be birding the area in the coming days. Please send any photos if you happen to see this bird!

-Derek
*****************************************
Derek and Jeannette Lovitch
Freeport Wild Bird Supply
541 Route One, Suite 10
Freeport, ME 04032
207-865-6000
www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com

****************************************

0 comments:

Post a Comment