Tuesday 30 April 2019

[Maine-birds] Six spruce grouse day

It happens every year. I suddenly realize that I have promised to find spruce grouse for the Acadia Birding Festival. So, in a panic, every year I go out scouting.

 

I am happy to report that the spruce grouse named “Woody,” who had a starring role in last year’s festival, has survived the winter and returned to his breeding spot in Gouldsboro. And, like last year, he’s as testy as ever – not really happy with entertaining company.

 

So I then visited a promising trail in Steuben and encountered five different males. Numbers 1, 3, 4 & 5 were definitely on territory. Number 2? Maybe not. He didn’t even bother to show his displeasure. Numbers 3 and 4 could barely conceal their irritation at my presence, and successfully convinced me to leave their love nooks at once. But…I gotta say…Number 4 is as bold as “Bruce Deuce” up in Lubec. He flew right down to my shoelaces.

 

Oh, well. Weather permitting, I’ll be in the North Maine Woods next weekend, confirming spruce grouse locations for some June tours offered by Schoodic Institute with Seth Benz. I hope “Skidder” and “Sowdy” are in their usual spots, but I’m not even sure the road is open and snow-free. Probably not.

 

Bob Duchesne




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment