Friday 22 June 2012

[Maine-birds] Castine

I spent the day in Castine today, and was able to spend a couple hours this morning walking around the place.  I had the luck to see something that was definitely a first for me: presumably an adult and a fledgling merlin sharing a meal!  I was walking down a small residential street and heard the calling (which I didn't recognize), and looked up to see a merlin swoop into a tree right next to me on the side of the road.  Then I heard more calling and looked over as another merlin, this one carrying prey, came in and landed on the same branch.  Then the first one ripped off some of the poor bird and fled to a neighboring tree, and both perched and ate their meal.  I believe it was a sparrow.  I also noticed a fairly large nest in the same tree as one of the birds, but I'm not familiar enough with them to know what their nests look like.

A few minutes later, on the same street, I heard a lot of crow ruckus and saw a crow parent feeding some calling crow nestlings, which was another treat, although not quite as exciting as the merlins.

--
Jeff Normandin

Axis GeoGraphics
GIS Mapping and
Custom Cartography

0 comments:

Post a Comment