Saturday 23 June 2012

[Maine-birds] A few things



2 sightings that I am not sure are all that rare, but seemed interesting:

1) A Carolina Wren pair is nesting at the Darling Marine Center in Walpole - a first for the center. I don't know how far north on the coast they regularly nest, but they certainly are not common in this area. The female is on 3 eggs currently.

2) A Pied-billed Grebe is visible and audible in a small open marsh on the DRA Farm in Damariscotta. I would imagine it is breeding, but have no evidence to support that - the marsh seems perfect, just quite small.

And a question:

Having not been here for some years, I cannot recall at all what tide is best to visit Weskeag Marsh - can someone enlighten me? Also, does it lag behind (or ahead) of the Thomaston tides?

And a last request: If anyone was out birding at the Darling Center a week or so ago, could you reply to me off the list?

Thanks,
Eric LoPresti
Walpole, ME

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment