Wednesday 27 June 2012

Re: [Maine-birds] Question - suggestions regarding Slide Scanners

Are any of these Mac compatible?

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Kirk Betts <ketteadene@gmail.com> wrote:
Nikon has discontinued their line of film scanners, which is unfortunate because they were an industry standard. Last year my printer,copier died and I bought a  Canon MG 8120. It has a film adapter in the cover, quality isn't bad, but it is slow. 

I did a search of B&H Photo in NYC, they have a couple of options which look good for a film scanner. I would look at ones that have a good customer review. And they are under $100.  B&H are very good to deal with, they ship fast, prices are good and although at times they can be surly to talk with on the phone, they do stand behind what they sell.


Kirk

On Apr 8, 2012, at 4:20 PM, Peter Vickery wrote:

Like many of you, I have hundreds of slides that I'm interested in scanning but I haven't taken any steps in that direction.

I'd appreciate knowing if others have had any experience with slide scanners.  I've got too many slides to take to Walmart, etc...

To be clear, I'm interested in a dedicated slide scanner, not a general scanner that also does slides.

My friend Geoff Dennis uses a Nikon Cool Scan IV but has reservations, see below.

Nikon Cool Scan IV is the model. 2900 dpi max. It scans slides and print film negatives. It's no doubt a dated machine now.  I've had it for about 8-10 years. The color replication is never accurate which always bothered me, but I hear that as a common complaint with slide scanners.  Color saturation never matches the slide. 
 
I know there's a newer Coolscan 5000ED by Nikon but it's expensive.

So, if you have any experience with slide scanners, I hope you'll share your experience.  And I'd suggest including the listserve as others might be interested.

Thanks.

Best, Peter





Peter Vickery
Center for Ecological Research
P. O. Box 127
Richmond, ME 04357 USA






--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207


--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment