Saturday 28 December 2013

[Maine-birds] American Kestrel / Barrow's / Snowy Owl (with prey)

Good Evening,

Yesterday I had an errand to run in Portland so I had my lunch break near the airport.  Didn't see any Snowies at first, but did have several Red Tailed Hawks and a male American Kestrel.  (Photo on the Maine Bird List Flickr page)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/mainebirdlist/

On my way to the Turnpike I observed a Snowy Owl in the snow towards the back of the runway / taxiway.

This morning I stopped by my office and observed an adult Drake Barrow's Goldeneye, several COGO and what I believe is an immature Drake BAGO.  This is off of Water Street near Elm Street.  (Please do not park in the lot at 35 or 40 Water Street as the Management has been towing vehicles without permit parking)

Photos are on the Maine Bird List Flickr Page.

I went to Biddeford Pool and observed a Snowy Owl with a Black Duck in the pool.  I trudged my way into the muck slowly minding the bird for signs that I was getting to close.  Oddly enough he flew towards me with his prey several times when Gulls were present.  Did he think Gulls would be dettered by human presence?

I sat (literally) in the mud for about 1 hour watching the Snowy and taking a lot of photos of it eating and sometimes dragging the Black Duck.

Several photos on my flickr and the Maine Bird List Flickr page.  I'll be adding more photos and videos on my facebook page (link in my signature).  You do not have to be a member of Facebook to view any of the content on that page.

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment