Sunday 22 December 2013

[Maine-birds] Gull conundrum Bath

Bath, Maine Sagadahoc County, map unknown, landfill, north Bath
 
On a gloomy, dark day (12/19), I went to the Bath Landfill in pursuit of the Golden eagle. I dipped on that. I sat there in the gloom for 2 hours atop Mount Trashmore in my car, listening to NPR with my dog. My dog was quite confused by all the smells wafting about. When I go home, my husband gave me a hello kiss then asked "Where the {insert expletive of your choice here} have you been? Your hair stinks!" HOw to make a girl feel good, huh? And bust on the eagle.
However, I did have a chance to study lots of gulls. Though only gulls, they are quite magnificent when flying by the hundreds immediately over one's head (keep the windows up is my advice). I took pics of bunches of buffy colored ones, thinking them to all be Glaucous. But, study at home reveals probably not so. The more I have studied, the more perplexed I have become. Conundrum choices are: Glaucous, Glaucous X Herring, Glaucous-Winged, Thayer's and Iceland. Photos below. A tip off that I was probably wrong was when I entered 3 Glaucous into eBird, it demanded a confirmation for count for that species.
Any thoughts, guidance, etc. appreciated to help me improve my gulling skills. Tips on how to get that rank smell out of my hair also welcome.
http://www.robinrobinsonmaine.com/OTHER-AND-MISCELLANEOUS/EBird/20888035_sMnHPp

 
Robin R Robinson
Birding Bust In Bath Requires Bath
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment