Thursday 20 September 2018

[Maine-birds] Monhegan, 9.20.18

Hi All,

I've been on the island since Saturday, but with all the birders out here right now, was hoping someone birding more intensively than I would post. So I was grateful to see Brett's summary. 

Birding picked up quite noticeably today with many more warblers around, including at least 1 (possibly 2) MOURNING WARBLERS. I also came across several Cape May, Magnolia, and Black-throated Green Warblers, many Blackpolls and Yellow-rumps, 2 Pines, and single Bay-breasted, Black-throated Blue, Canada, Wilson's, and Nashville Warblers, among others.

Several Least Sandpipers, a Spotted Sandpiper, and a Semipalmated Plover persist in Lobster Cove. I later also spotted 2 Spotted Sandpipers at the Ice Pond.

I observed two different PHILADELPHIA VIREOS on opposite ends of the island. Many Red-eyed Vireos, 1 Blue-headed this morning. 

Other highlights: 1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 1 Brown Creeper, my first White-breasted Nuthatches of the trip, at least 2 American Kestrels among other migrant raptors. At least 1 Dickcissel continues (2 seen together yesterday).

Birds reported by others that I wish I'd seen today: OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER (near Lobster Cove); Wood Duck in the Ice Pond; and Indigo Bunting. And I think it was yesterday that a YELLOW-THROATED VIREO was seen—I haven't seen one of those out here in quite a while, so tried unsuccessfully to track that one down.  

Not much going on for sparrow action. The waxwing flock seems to be growing every time I see it. Still many Purple Finches around. 

A single Canada Goose looked lonely in the harbor tonight. Many gannets continue fishing right offshore, where schools of fish have also attracted small groups of Harbor Porpoises (as well as tuna-fishing boats). 

And I'm probably forgetting things. There's a lot going on out here. 

Kristen

--
Kristen Lindquist

Website: kristenlindquist.com
Haiku blog: www.kristenlindquist.com/blog/

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment