Sunday 2 September 2018

[Maine-birds] Spoonbill

I made the trek from Camden to Dover-Foxcroft this afternoon to see the Roseate spoonbill, and was not disappointed. In fact, it was almost ridiculously easy to see it, as it never left its prominent (albeit 200 yards distant) perch from 4:00 until about 5:45 - the distance certainly made me glad to have a scope. I was a bit surprised not to see any other bidders for the entire 2 hours I was there; maybe it's been there long enough that everyone who's going to travel to see it has already done so. I did have two different couples and one individual stop and ask about it, giving me chances to share some information and views through the scope. Even though I've seen the species before, having been to Florida (once, as a teenager decades ago) it was very cool to see it as such a rarity, and made one more time to make my avid birder brother in southern New Mexico jealous. So if anyone is still thinking about going to look for this bird, it's well worth seeing, and who knows when you'll have another such chance in Maine.

Jay Pendleton, Camden

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment